LISTENING TO STRAWBERRY SPRING: A SCRIPTED PODCAST

Based on the short story by Stephen King, Strawberry Spring is a scripted podcast set against the backdrop of the sixties revolution on the campus of New Sharon College. Published in 2021. We follow a generation of students who don't trust authority, the futile efforts of the local police and a young, determined reporter as he chases the bloody trail of Springheel Jack, an unrelenting, modern-day jack the ripper. After vanishing and leaving his murders unsolved. Jack is back - along with a new strawberry spring, a weather pattern with an unusual fog bank that rolls in every eight years. Using the fog to hide his tracks, he taunts new Sharon with fresh kills, each murder more violent then the last. It stars Garrett Hedlund (Tron Legacy) , Milo Ventimiglia (This is Us, Gilmore Girls, Heroes), Sydney Sweeney (Euphoria) , Ken Marino and Brec Bassinger. 

With the announcement of the new podcast series Slayers, I wanted to get used to listening to a scripted podcast show before digging into Slayers. I came across Strawberry Spring, which I think was perfect spooky listening for autumn/Halloween time. I've heard of a few stars who have lent their voices to this podcast so that got me excited and then I found out it was based on a Stephen King short story and it sold me. 

5 Minutes into Episode 1 and I could already make out everyone's voices. Milo has a distinct voice I remember hearing in This is Us. Garrett has the best deep spooky narration voice and I think he would be perfect for gaming voice overs such as The Dark Pictures games. Actually the whole cast need their own Dark Pictures game.

The only thing that is grinding my gears is the adverts and their placements, I'm just getting to a good part and bam, a bright and cheerful advert starts and my spooky vibe disappears.

The town of New Sharon is beauituflly described and I felt as if I was in the podcast iteself, standing next to these characters as they talked. I suggest you have headphones in for these types of podcasts. I used my airpods and made sure it was blocking any outside sound. Which made this even more creepier.

The twist at the very end was beautifully done and I enjoyed it very much even if I did manage to guess it before hand, but I've read and watched so many thrillers that I suspect everyone until I've narrowed it down before the end.

It's short, its creepy and the voice acting was superb and I give this 4 stars out of 5. 

Have you listned to scripted podcasts and if so what was your favourite?





Listen to Strawberry Spring on Spotify | Apple | Scribd

Follow me on Instagram | X/Twitter | Goodreads

Check out the rest of Blogtober here.

1 Comments

  1. I haven't listened to a scripted podcasts before, but Strawberry Spring does sound intriguing, and I like that it's based on a Stephen King short. The ads do seem frustrating though since it did take away from the story.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top